Friday, August 14, 2009

Forgiving Mike Vick

I never thought I'd be writing about Michael Vick here. The Mike Vick issue is one I've debated and written about in other forums but I didn't think it would apply to this particular part of my world. Now I find that my religious sensibility is informing my opinion on Vick.

For the last few months I have taken heat from both sides of the Vick debate based on my steadfast ambivalence regarding his comeback. My feeling has been that the market would determine if Vick got another chance to play in the NFL. I've never believed that Vick "deserved" another chance to play. If no one wanted to give him a job that would be fine with me as well. He certainly does not have a right to earn his living as an athlete, but if someone was willing to give him a job then I can't begrudge him his opportunity. I also believe that NFL commissioner Roger Goodell is well within his rights as an employer to suspend Vick for the first six weeks of the season. Just because Vick has paid his debt to society does not mean he has paid his debt to the league, the fans, or the sponsors.

Because I don't disagree with the suspension people on the staunchly pro-Vick side of the issue have accused me of being biased in favor of "the man." Now the pendulum is swinging. As I've said I'm fine with the suspension I've also said I'm fine with Vick returning to the league which is now getting me in trouble with the anti-Vick side.

Now that Vick has signed with a team I find my feelings about him shifting. I still believe that Goodell is within his rights to suspend Vick. I cannot jump in with the crowd expressing disappointment with the Eagles for signing him. I don't believe Vick should be banned for life. What he did was horrifying. He willfully and knowingly funded a criminal conspiracy for a number of years. He was then tried, convicted, and served his sentence. This does not mean anyone has to forget what he did. I would never tell anyone they have to like Michael Vick, or support Michael Vick, or root for Michael Vick. I do believe that we can forgive Michael Vick.

For me forgiveness is one of the most central of Christ's teachings. With that in mind it is appropriate that Vick is going to the Eagles who's coach, Andy Reid, knows a little something about forgiveness. In the last two years Reid's sons have been arrested multiple times on gun and drug related charges. I imagine that the experience of reconciling his love for his sons with the serious nature of their transgressions has shown Reid that anyone can stray. In the wake of his sons' arrests Reid took a leave of absence to tend to his family. Now he is taking another wayward soul. Coaching Michael Vick will not be easy. Not because Vick is a bad person but because of everything that comes with him. The scrutiny, the media, the protests will be tough but Reid may the one coach most ready and able to handle it.

Now, in many ways, the debate is over. Whether or not vick should get another chance at an NFl career is academic. He's back. All that's left for us is to decide how we will respond. As a Christian I feel compassion and hope for Michael Vick. I am willing to extend to Vick the assumption that he is genuinely remorseful and appreciative of his opportunity. After all, the purported goal of our justice system is rehabilitation and reintegration with society. Now that Vick has served his time and is being mentored by Tony Dungy I am willing to believe that he has been rehabilitated.

I am a dog owner, and a Christian, and I am rooting for Michael Vick. I'm not rooting for Mike Vick the football player, but for Michael Vick the man. I hope he gets his life together (he's embroiled in bankruptcy) and I think that the structure and guidance of football can help him if he chooses to allow it. If our ultimate goal as a society is revenge then we are just as troubled as Vick. Instead we should do what we can to bring him back to the light. Jesus has shown us the way to do this now it is up to us to carry it out.

No comments: